Monday, July 25, 2005

Bunnyvention 2005 Kansas City, Missouri


I went to Bunnyvention. I was hoping it would be a happy (or at least interesting) diversion from some of the stresses in my life. It was.

(Recent potential stresses - end of job at group home where I've worked for the past two years, goodbye to the last person I took care of during that time, diagnosis-dying-death of my kitty, approaching final week of 11 months in paramedic class with all that entails, internships coming up soon, fall semster to pay for, RN classes beginning soon).

I did not know what to expect. I knew I didn't want to share a bed with a stranger (the friend I had hoped to share a double room with canceled about a week before). I was hesitant to be around a lot of people who were probably either too squeaky-clean (or appeared to be) or people who were just a little too ga-ga over Country Bunny.

I've been kind of a skeptic for the past couple of months. I sold a lot of product my first month and a half. Then, I began to think, "Why should I be doing all this work and someone else is getting paid for it?" I said this to one of the women at the Hutch (main office) when I called last week. She said, "Have you ever done direct marketing before?"

I wasn't sure if she was about to tell me that's what direct marketing involves (in part), or if she was gently teasing me. I said, "Yes, but I've always just signed up, bought a lot of stuff, and quit." And, here I was about to do the same thing again.
It's not surprising that the skepticism was creeping in.

I signed up for Bunnyvention (the yearly convention) months ago when the price was the very lowest. I told myself I'd go this first time for one of two reasons (to be discovered while there). I would either 1) realize what a fabulous company it is, and I'd be sold on it completely, or I would 2) see what joke it was and be glad I was able to observe and find out the truth early, so I could get out and cut my losses.

Did I say I'd been a bit skeptical?

I don't know that my skepticism was for this company as much as for direct marketing in general. I've had a lot of years to watch direct marketing companies and not be very impressed with them. I guess that doesn't say much. I've had a lot of years to watch other companies, too, those of the 'corporate America' variety, and not be very impressed.

I had heard from lots of people that the owners of Country Bunny Bath and Body, Nancy and Ron, were really nice people who care a lot about people, want the best for others, and are doing all they can to make their company a road to success for all who want to take that road. They look so 'nice' in their photos. I just didn't know what to think.

Did I say I'd been a bit skeptical?

I had a problem with all the words, too. I LOVE THE PRODUCTS. I've not found anything better. The Country Bunny Bath and Body products are as good as it gets. But, I thought, "Bunnies?" (sales reps) and "The Hutch?" (main office) and "Bunnyvention?" (the company convention each year) and customer service reps who sign their email correspondence "Have a Hoppy Day!"? I couldn't find words for it. It just all seemed so weird.

May I say this now? I LOVED BUNNYVENTION!

I had a great time. I was SO impressed with Nancy and Ron. They DO care about people. They DO want people to succeed.

And, all that 'Bunny' stuff, all those 'bunny' words, all the 'bunny' themed everything was FUN. I really, really enjoyed it. It's actually kind of neat, because how can you take yourself too seriously when you're talking about bunny rabbits?


There was so much good that happened there. There were so many good speakers. There was so much good information given out through talks, demonstrations, Q and A sessions, and presentations. I heard and saw a lot of good things. On the way back to Tulsa, I told the person I rode with that it wouldn't even have been bad to have had a 12-hour drive home (instead of our 5 hour drive), because there was so much to process and so much to think about and sort out.

I took in more than I could absorb. I saw and heard a lot of things that will help me make this work as a personal business. There are so many good people, smart people, creative people, imaginative people, caring people who work for Country Bunny Bath and Body (either as employees or as independent representatives).

But, what really clinched it for me and made it all okay (and better), was that I was able to see the owners of the company in person (Nancy and Ron). I heard them speak. I met them. I talked with them. I took pictures of them (and with them). I watched them.

They are hard-working. They're innovative. They're passionate about what they're doing. They care about people. They're humble. They are not just in it for themselves. They really do want other people to succeed along with them.


Did I say I'm a bit of a skeptic?

I am. I really am. I rarely believe that people at the top in businesses care about the people who do the grunt work. Nancy and Ron do. This business is their baby, but instead of selling the products to a major distributor, they chose to sell it person-to-person.


Now I can believe in Country Bunny Bath and Body wholeheartedly. Up to this past weekend, I did not yet know if it was just another direct sales company. I did not know if the people who are at the top were just in it for the money, or if they were in it because they care about doing something good in this world.

I really was impressed with Nancy and Ron and with the message they have given to those who sell the products. I heard over and over, from many of the speakers, about how important it is to listen to the customer and find a way to meet the customer's needs. I realize this is a classic sales techinique. what's different here is that I actually believe that those who are super-successful with this company have a 'do unto others as you would have them do unto you' attitude. I know they are in it because they can (potentially) earn a lot of money. But, they are also in this because they care about people and they want to make good connections with people, and they want to help people. I think that's really cool.

For much of my life, I've looked for people in business who act with integrity. I'm sure there are many. But, there are also many who act only for themselves. I've started work in departments or in companies, believing that people want the best for others, only to learn that people only want the best for themselves.

I may find myself disillusioned at some point, if I find that my original skeptical attitudes turned out to be pointing to truth. But, for now, I am very happy to set aside my skepticism.

I believe this company is different. I believe in the two people who own this company. I saw enough this weekend to know that this is a company I can be proud to represent, confident that the 'upper management' really does want good things to happen for those who sell their products. They actually listen. They actually care. That's very cool.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home