Thursday, June 30, 2005

New OK Driver's License ... complete with fingerprints.

I got a new Oklahoma driver's license a few days ago ... complete with a digital strip that can be used to search a database filled with (the information from) scanned fingerprints.

It's amazing that I've lived here long enough not only to have an OK driver's license, but to need to renew my license. When I think about it, I ask myself, "Why?" Why am I still here? Hmmmm.

I didn't want to do it. I didn't want to have to be fingerprinted in order to get my driver's license renewed. It feels like such an invasion of privacy, such an intrusion. But, if I were to refuse to give up my fingerprints for their digital file, I would not have been able to get my license renewed. And, where would that lead?

I think it's disturbing, because it feels like another step along the road to national identity cards and implanted chips with personal information on them. Where will it stop? (I'm thinking it won't.)

At least there are not cameras in our homes yet (as far as we know, right? lol). But, our movements are easily tracked through phone call records, credit card purchases, prepaid toll road devices, and cameras at intersections (that one is a stretch, I realize, at least at this time, but they ARE there so someone can watch us).

In the past two years, I've had to have OSBI (Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation) background checks run on me at least four times (once for a job and three times for school). There is no privacy in this world. That's part of why I'm even doing this blog. I am finally coming to terms with the reality that it's futile to even imagine there is such a thing as privacy in this world. So, I might as well just put things out there.

2 Comments:

At Sunday, July 03, 2005 8:36:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You do know that you leave your fingerprints everywhere you go. They are hardly private.

 
At Sunday, July 10, 2005 5:44:00 PM, Blogger jordanrep.com/10522 said...

Oh, hello anonymous commenter! lol. It looks like you may leave your fingerprints, but you do not want to reveal your identity! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home