Thursday, July 21, 2005

Diagnosis to Departure in 24 Hours

She's gone. It was an intensely sad 24 hours.

A good friend here who loves animals and flowers said I could bury my Astral kitty in her back yard. She even helped dig the hole before I went to have Astral put to sleep, and she helped fill it up and put flowers on top after I returned from the vet's office.

I told the vet. He said, "That's a nice friend to let you bury your pet in her yard." I agree.

I wrapped Astral's body in part of a sheet I slept on in my weekend job and kept the rest of the sheet. My friend and I dug the hole and filled it after I placed Astral's body in it. I put flat stones on top (to keep the dogs out). My friend's daughter cut some flowers and my friend put them on top of the stones.

Telling myself that Grandmomma was always interested in Tulsa, and she always felt connected to Tulsa b/c of her uncle (or great uncle), and that I would be letting her be in Tulsa somehow by leaving her kitty here, was the only way I could bring myself to just bury my little kitty's body instead of cremating.

Burying her in my friend's back yard was the only place I was comfortable leaving her. So, I'm glad my friend's mom offered, and I'm glad she willingly got out of bed sooner than she'd planned (works overnight) and told me it was okay and picked a spot and helped me dig the hole. She was really nice about it and hugged me and my little kitty while I cried before going to have her put to sleep.

I told my friend, "Now you can see me, my grandmother, and my kitty every day." (She selected a spot beside her grapevine across the yard from her kitchen window. After the dirt settles, she'll put all the flat stones that are on top flush with the earth, and make a little garden around it.)

It feels like a good connection from Grandmomma to my little Astral kitty to me to one of my first friends here. Leaving some of Grandmomma and myself with my little kitty where my friend can watch over her memory felt like a good way to say goodbye.

Twenty-four hours is really fast to lose someone you love. :(

Thanks for the nice notes and the tears and the good thoughts and the prayers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home