Friday, June 03, 2005

Happy Birthday, Baby !!!


The head just slipped right out!

I had seen it on TV before, and I've seen photos in textbooks. But, until my labor and delivery clinical the other night, I had never seen a baby born right there in front of me.

I wondered for the mother's modesty with me, a stranger, looking at that most intimate part of her body, watching for the new life to come pushing through. But, she did not even notice me until later. And, then she said, "Oh, I didn't see you over there. Hi!" as if I were her old, best friend who had come to witness the birth of her child.

I was surprised by how brief the actual birth process was. And, I was surprised by how pretty the baby was when it came out. I had always thought babies were mashed from being in the birth canal. But, this was not her first delivery, so the process was quick, and the baby slipped out as pretty as you please.

I tried to pay attention to all the things I will need to know if I am ever faced with an emergency delivery of a baby (if the mother is so close to delivery that she cannot be transported to the hospital before the baby comes out). I asked questions of the nurses afterwards about the delivery of the placenta and about the care of the newborn immediately following the delivery.

EMS protocols require the umbilical cord to be clamped and cut a little bit farther from the baby (farther than where they clamp it and cut it in the hospital). And, EMS protocols require delivery of the placenta and saving it in a plastic bag to take with the mother and the newborn, so that the doctors at the hospital can examine it.

I have heard some talk about people who cook the placenta and eat it after the birth of the baby. I do not personally know of anyone who has done that. Even if I were so inclined, I'd be thinking about things like Hep B and C and HIV. I don't think I could be one of the family and friends who gathered around to enjoy the afterbirth, although I'm sure it is an important ritual for some people.

What I saw at the hospital was that they put it into a bag, and they save it for a week, so that they will have it if it is needed for testing later (if some problems are discovered with the baby).

It really was neat seeing the head just come sliding out. Birth is amazing (if for no other reason, that something as big as a baby can come out of a woman*).

I wish all babies were wanted. I wish all children were loved and respected and treated with tenderness and affection.


*http://www.med-help.net/ECB1Aa.jpg

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home