Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Yield to Lights and Sirens


Yield to lights and sirens. Not only will it assist the emergency workers in getting to the scene faster. It might save your life.

Emergency vehicles are BIG and HEAVY. They can cause incredible damage when smashing into your car and your body. It's just not worth it to think you can do one more move before one hits you. It's like crossing the train track when the train is almost there just because you (think you) can.

Years ago, I knew of a man back home who was permanently brain damaged because he pulled out in front of a fire truck. I don't know whose 'fault' the collision was, I heard he failed to yield, but it doesn't really matter. His life was forever changed, and his body and mind were damaged in ways that could never be undone.

I understand how hard it is to hear the sirens. I really do. The other day, I was driving with the windows down. In the mirror, I saw behind me an ambulance, with lights flashing, approaching at a high speed. It was not until it was almost to me that I could hear the sirens. (Then, it almost deafened me with the volume as it passed my car.)

What concerns me even more are people who pull out into traffic from a side street directly into the path of an emergency vehicle traveling 50 to 80 miles per hour. It isn't just their lives they are endangering. They are also putting at risk everyone who is close enough to be hit by flying debris. And, they are endangering the lives of their passengers and the occupants of the emergency vehicle.

It has amazed me to watch the traffic up ahead, when the ambulance speedometer reads 60 mph, 70 mph, 80 mph. Some drivers up ahead, instead of pulling over to the right, will simply come to a dead stop directly in front of the ambulance in the same lane.

Even worse than that, people will stop and then turn left from the lane where the ambulance is about to overtake them. This is especially dangerous, since the ambulance WILL pass them on the left, and if they turn left, into the lane the ambulance is using, that could be the last time they ever make a left turn. I'm thinking 'Left Turn to Eternity'.

There is something good in all of this. I am amazed by all the people who follow the basic rule of driving that says you pull over to the right when lights and sirens are approaching.

When 3 or 30 or 50 cars all pull over to the right and stop, as if in a choreographed dance with cars and trucks and motorcycles, it is a moving sight. It touches me, because I think of it as people doing the right thing, working together to save the life of someone they don't even know.

A lot of training for emergency workers emphasizes safe driving skills and scene safety. But, the driving public is an integral part of keeping everyone safe.

You have a very important role in keeping everyone safe. Your actions are important in helping emergency workers get to the scene as quickly as possible (without injury or death to anyone on the way to the scene).

Help save lives. Yield to lights and sirens

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home