Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Saving My Life Two More Ways


Yesterday, I did three things that were calculated to (potentially) extend my life or at least to prevent my life from ending sooner than necessary.

1) I had my yearly mammogram. I don't generally publish such things on the internet, but this should be standard once-a-year behavior for all women over the age of forty. If you have not been for your mammogram this year, make your appointment now.

2) I got my first of three Hep A + Hep B vaccinations. Check my post yesterday for this story.

3) I went to a police supply store to inquire about purchasing protective wear. They will not sell to me without proper authorization. But, it looks like I will be able to get the certification needed to allow me to purchase the body armor I want to wear when I work on an ambulance (or do 'third rider' clinical rides as a student). I asked another police officer if she thinks it is necessary. She said, "Yes, probably so." Pray for us all.

In addition to three ways to save my life, I also stopped by a Hospice where I was in the process of completing an application for employment. They told me several months ago that they can probably hire me to work 'ecb' (emergency call back) when their regular employees call in sick. They'll have me do home health visits or continuous care (sitting with a dying person during the last hours of life).

When we talked about continuous care a few months ago, they told me I'll need to have a different thought process in this job. Instead of wanting to jump in and try to save the person's life, I will need to sit with the patient during the process of dying without doing anything to try to prolong life. It is the complete opposite of pre-hospital emergency care.

I wonder how it would be to work on an ambulance one day and do all I can to bring someone back, and sit with a dying person the next day to be there as a companion in the last hours and a witness to their death. I do not know if I will have the opportunity to do either job, or both jobs, but I think each will broaden my perspective. I hope working in both jobs will help me provide better patient care to patients whatever the situation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home