Sunday, May 08, 2005

Party In My Driveway

When I returned home on Sunday evening, I could not park in my driveway beside my house. It was filled with cars, bumper to bumper, two 'lanes' about 4 or 5 deep. There were also cars on the street and there was a car in the front yard next door.

At first, I wanted them to move the cars from my driveway. (We share a drive. Half is mine. Half is for the house next door.) But then, I decided to just pull over as close to my house as possible and took my things into the house.

By that time, people were starting to move cars. I said, "It's okay," and "no problem." But, several trucks and cars were pulled out onto the street so I could get closer to my house. People were saying, "I'm sorry," and "I turn down music." I kept saying, "It's okay. No problem."


Fiesta por el dia de la madre! :) It was a party for my next door neighbor for Mother's Day. She is from El Salvador. It was cool that they said they party was in her honor. (The guys all drink beer in the front yard and listen to music from the car trunk stereo almost every weekend. But, this was a real party with the women and children, too, and with food on the grill.)

People here tend to call any Spanish-speaking person with slightly darker skin Mexicans. But, the people celebrating her day were young people from El Salvador, Honduras and Guatamela. She's the madre and the abuela. She's also the aunt and the pretend mom for a lot of those who were at the party. She was smiling a big, happy smile! :)

I took some of my lotion bars with me when I went to the party . I know she does not have enough money to ever buy anything from me. I opened up three of them. Peach Mango, Pearberry, and Oatmeal Milk and Honey. She smelled them all. She liked the Peach Mango, so I gave it to her. Then, she asked what everyone wants to know. What is it? What do you do with this? So, I showed her and explained. One of the young women who understands English translated for us.

Lots of the guys posed for pictures and asked for copies. It was after 9pm. 'Mexican' music was blaring from lighted speakers in the open trunk of a car. Guys were drinking longneck Budweisers. Little children were playing. A couple was sitting on the tailgate of a pickup truck. Most of the women were inside with the little children and the babies.

One guy was alone with his head in his hands. When he saw me, he smiled a beautiful smile so I could take his picture. Then, he told me, "My mother is dead." His English was broken, but it was better than my Spanish. He told me his mother died last month in Honduras. He said he is 23 and came to the US when he was 14. He said he never went home again. So, he never saw his mother again. He said the people at the party were his friends, but they don't know his hurt. He kept saying, "but, it's okay," and trying to smile. I said, "You love your mother." He said, "Yes! I LOVE my mother!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home