Thursday, September 21, 2006

How To Avoid Losing Your Lunch

(alternate titles - How to avoid throwing up, How to avoid vomiting, What do to if you feel nauseated, Anti-emesis tips, Things to do that act as anti-emetics)

I realize this is a 'gross' topic, but there are many people in the world who have physical (diseases) or chemical (medication) reasons for feeling nauseated and involuntarily vomiting. For those people, these hints might make a world of difference.

I have a friend who has
Meniere's Disease. She throws up every day, sometimes more than once a day. She gave me a list of hints for people who experience nausea and involuntary vomiting.

This is her advice. She does these things every day:
*ice chips
*ice pack on your head
*small amount of protein
*a little salt
*deep breathing
*keeping a fan on your face, ice on your wrists
*lying down usually makes things worse.

3 Comments:

At Friday, September 22, 2006 8:58:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi. Thanks for the helpful hints. Some of those things work for me too. Generally, I try to relax, stay extremely still and take shallow breaths. Cold, cold cloths on my head helps. Sometimes I dig my nails into my hands. Somehow that helps. If it's really cold outside, I'll go outside and stand until I shiver and can't stand being out there anymore. It's even better if I've soaked my head with cold water.

 
At Sunday, November 05, 2006 4:30:00 PM, Blogger Joel said...

Ginger has been clinically tested for various kinds of nausea and works according to the studies.

 
At Monday, November 06, 2006 10:12:00 PM, Blogger Beth said...

I tab of ativan under the tongue works great too. By the time I'm feeling queasy, I don't want to ingest anything out of the fear that it will cause me to vomit, so unless I could inject it, ginger isn't an option. When I was having chemo, I had a cocktail of anti-emetics that worked very well. Some were give IV and some in pill form.

When I'm only feeling mildly nauseated and think I can ingest something I DO use ginger. I mix up some cream of wheat with ginger or have some ginger tea.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home