Sunday, June 18, 2006

Stunned - It was all just right - Singing at the Saffron

I sang tonight at the Saffron - 12th/Harvard, Tulsa, OK. I did three sets. The first two were 40 minutes each. I think the last one was an hour. I sang two songs twice by request (Hazmat Couple, Lean In For A Kiss).

In the weeks preceding the show, I gave out about 150 menus with a little paper attached advertising that I'd be there tonight. Almost every person seemed interested, and several said they'd definitely be there.

As it turned out, two people who had the menu and ad came. One drove 40 miles one way. One brought a group of friends (about 5 or 6 were in that group). A school friend and her partner were there (after a phone message the other day). And, the two people who inspired the Hazmat Couple song were there (b/c, our mutual connection person invited them for me).

There were some other people there as a group, and there were a few other tables of customers now and then. And, the people I know from the restaurant were there - owner, staff, and the very nice guy (musician/singer who sings during lunches at the Saffron) who allowed me to use his sound equipment and set it up for me and did the sound checks.

This is all to say that my fantasy of packing the place did not come true. But, I left there feeling stunned. Those who came because I was singing stayed for 2 - 3 hours. And, as the evening went on, things became more interactive. "What do you want next, a bluegrass song or a fairy tale?" Or, which title do you want, "I Smile Again So You Won't See Me Cry" or "Hell of My Own Choosing"? I enjoy it more when those who are listening are able to participate in some way. I also really enjoyed seeing smiles and hearing laughter during the funny songs.

I almost forgot to check the tip jar. I didn't expect tips, or if any, not more than a couple of dollars. I was floored. There was some generosity happening last night. (If you were those persons, and you're reading this, THANK YOU!) And, I sold a songbook and cd, too. The money surprise underscored how good the evening felt. It was icing on the cake. The cake was having people who wanted to be there come and stay for a long time and enjoy what I did. It was cool.

This probably sounds like I've never performed before. That's not the case at all. It's just that I've not performed, doing my own show, for several years. And, it feels so much more right to me now than it ever has in the past. It really feels like now is the time to perform as often as possible and get the word out about where people can find my songs.

Very soon, eFolkMusic (http://efolkmusic.org/
) will have digital albums available for purchase and download. As soon as that is an option, I will upload my three existing cds (the ones I recorded in January 2003, "Weird Duck", "Hungry When I Wake", "Lean In For A Kiss"). Then, they'll be available for purchase from efm as digital albums. The songs will also be available as individual mp3s.

If you join eFolkMusic ($30/year), you can download about a thousand 'member' mp3s (free to members), plus you get a 10 per cent discount on merchandise purchases. EFolkMusic is totally cool. Even if you don't join efm, you can browse through the site and listen to lots and lots of music (just click preview to hear songs for free).

Anyway, this is all to say that the crowded restaurant I imagined was not what happened. But, what did happen was so great. It was just right that there were a few friends and a few new people. It was just right that we had the opportunity visit during my breaks and interact while I sang.

It was all just right. And, I will sing again at the Saffron just as soon as I am able. I love the Saffron. If you live in or around Tulsa, I hope you'll check it out. It's at 12th and Harvard (near the University of Tulsa). The Saffron is a cool place. I hope you'll stop by soon!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home