Monday, January 09, 2006

Pray For Rain

Grass fires. Oklahoma is burning.

There are fires both east and west of Tulsa. OK has not had rain for a long time. There are burning bans everywhere.

Two hundred twenty homes and businesses have burned in the rural areas. People are starting to have 'allergy attacks' (maybe due to smoke in the air?). This last bit is anecdotal, since it's not from anyone medical, but rather from conversation with others.

I woke up coughing within the last hour and took a decongestant. I hope there is rain soon.

On a different note: Level Two begins in less than four hours. The next semester of the four semester program begins soon. The coursework seems a bit daunting. I need to focus on one day at a time and attend to what is before me each day.

Pray for rain.

530pm Monday Jan 9, 2006 Update - Two things:

1)This email arrived today from a friend in Muskogee, Oklahoma.
"The fires have gotten within 5 miles of my home, so I have been told. So far they have burned on the east, south, and west of me. Sometimes I can smell the smoke and twice we could see it in the air. Sinus infection is what I am hearing the most about. Several herds of cattle have been trapped by the flames. I have friends on the police department and volunteer fire department that try to keep me informed. I pray a lot."

2)I told my mom about midday today about the fires and the need for rain, and how it hasn't rained in OK for almost 100 days. Now, a few hours later, there are thick clouds covering the sky, moisture in the air, and a forecast for rain for tomorrow. (Yesterday there was no rain forcast for the next week or so.) Maybe my momma has been praying up a storm. Literally. I could believe she has a special direct line to God. Thanks to all of you who do think of others and pray or send good thoughts or energy or meditate on good things. We're all in this (world, life) together. It means a lot to know people care. Thanks for being there.

And, a p.s. about school. I'm cautiously optimistic. :) I think it (this semester) is going to be okay. At any rate, the 1st day went well.

Fire update: Jan 14, 2006 midday
The snow provided a brief respite, but fires continue to burn thousands of acres of land along with homes and businesses. While OK is without rain, the Seattle area is experiencing its 27th day of rain. And, according to
KinK over at JL, parts of CA are washing away, too. At the same time, the weather reports say the east has rain and the northeastern states will get snow. Can't we all just share? I'll take your rain. You take my sunshine. What do you think? If only it were that easy.

Fire update: Jan 15, 2006 10pm
The fires continue. Several factors have increased the fire risk:
Temperatures up to 70F
Wind speeds up to 40 mph
Humidity down to 15%
Just counting the Tulsa area, there were fires in nearby communities north, east, west, and south. One fire was stopped 50 feet from a house at the edge of a neighborhood. Another was started by people who threw out firecrackers into dry grass and then drove away. I know the people in the Pacific Northwest would gladly take our dry weather for their endless rain. I know we'd be happy to take their rain.

6 Comments:

At Monday, January 09, 2006 4:11:00 PM, Blogger Joel said...

I do hope that it rains in Oklahoma. Many innocent people will be harmed along with those who have been unjust.

Where is Pat Robertson's voice here? Why is he not saying that this is the fire of Heaven coming down to punish Oklahoma? The question is what for? For being a red state? For being a haven for people who picket gay funerals? For supporting those who harass women at abortion clinics? Never.

 
At Monday, January 09, 2006 5:58:00 PM, Blogger jordanrep.com/10522 said...

You know, Joel, I had the same thought. The god Pat Robertson believes in punishes all the people PR thinks are wrong. When bad things happen to other people, it's just nature.

I do wish we could all learn to live and let live and all find value in each other. No one 'deserves' fire or flood or disease, and politics has nothing to do with it.

Imagine a world where we all could accept each other instead of dividing along lines of religion, politics, race, and money. That would be an incredible place.

 
At Monday, January 09, 2006 6:24:00 PM, Blogger jordanrep.com/10522 said...

Oklahoma weather update. Showers tonight, turning to snow before morning, then 60F by Wednesday.

 
At Monday, January 09, 2006 11:13:00 PM, Blogger jordanrep.com/10522 said...

Lest there be any confusion about my comments, I want to clarify one thing. I DO NOT see natural disasters as God's punishment on anyone.

I was merely commenting on those who attribute death and devastation to the wrath of God and how they pick and choose which disasters they call the hand of God and which ones they choose to overlook.

Regardless of any factors where people differ - politics, religion, personal beliefs and prejudices, I DO NOT believe that any events that destroy life and homes and businesses and properties are "the hand of God" punishing people.

 
At Monday, January 09, 2006 11:39:00 PM, Blogger Joel said...

I know you don't, Deb. The rain falls on the just and the unjust alike as the book Pat Robertson claims to know says.

Only in this case, the rain is a good thing.

 
At Monday, January 16, 2006 2:45:00 PM, Blogger Joel said...

If they did the firecracker thing here in California, we'd throw them ~in~ the fireline.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home